Continuing with the theme of our 2010 resolutions – if it bugs us, fix it – I decided to tackle the “baking cabinet” this past weekend. I buy some pretty large bags of flour and sugar and the like, and they are so heavy that when they come up and down off the shelf the bags get pretty worn and leave a dusting of flour snow on everything below, and eventually I end up dumping the contents into a gallon Ziploc bag. Then a bit later, said bag springs a leak, so I double bag it, and one zipper gets clogged with sugar granules and the other just wears out and… well you get the point. They’ve been lying on these shelves, stacked on top of one another, shifting and sloshing around for awhile. One morning the girls and I were eating breakfast and the door slowly swung open on its own accord, and in slow motion, the bags started slithering out of the cabinet and tumbling to the countertop and the floor below, slinky style. The cabinet bugged me. So I fixed it.
Lovely stackable containers with their nifty push down, pop up vacuum sealed lids. All the various flours are accounted for.
And the labels, oh, the labels. Fixing another thing that was bugging – two for the price of one. Running permanent markers on the glass bottles – every time we steamed them warm again the words ran and stained our fingers and the towels. These labels are waterproof, dishwasher proof, freezer and steamer proof. Permanent marker goes on, erases off when it needs to be changed, and starts all over again like a perfect little clean, white slate. The kind of little thing that would make me so happy on a gray day in the middle of winter, so happy, in fact, that I feel compelled to photograph the inside of my refrigerator and those little jars.