Occasionally – maybe once a year – I take everything off the front ledge of E’s room and give it a more thorough cleaning. I rearrange things, and since she’s usually out of town when I do this – I purge things, and then the room always feels so much cleaner and more organized. She’s used to this, so when she headed to grandparents’ a couple of weeks ago I told her I was going to be doing my annual clean out. When she got back the room still looked like this, and I told her that I had decided that her ledge needed painting again, and so she’s been sleeping in her sister’s room this week. I don’t think she has a clue what’s really going on here.
I covered the mound of books on the bed with a big tarp and set to work on the ledges. I’m repainting the long one in the front of the room, the window seat on the side, the top of the mantel and the small ledge to the side of her bed. I sanded the old poly coat off the top and then cleaned up the dust. I used some super stain blocking primer over a couple of areas where a pencil sharpener with a suction cup bottom had left big yellow rings, and then I painted the tops – three thin coats. Last night I started the polyurethane top coat. We’ve found that the top coat really does keep the white painted tops looking better, longer, and it keeps things from sticking to the painted tops over time.
M did a dry fit of the desk (minus the drawers) last weekend and sent me this picture while I was out with the girls.
The desk is in the basement being painted – almost ready for final assembly and installation tomorrow.
Yes, that is a french press and a coffee mug in the collection of paint tools. I always bring the essentials to any paint job.
All clean and white again. Just waiting for some color. Tomorrow!