There’s nothing better than a Friday night with big plans. ‘Cause we’ve got some big ones…
We’re going to buy a new vacuum cleaner.
I know, we’re crazy around here. Try not to be jealous.
Here’s the thing – we’ve had our current vacuum cleaner for thirteen years, and now it’s dead, and so I’m wondering if the year thirteen will bring us more bad luck. We own Roombas – two in fact – but we’ve repaired them in the past, replaced parts, and just haven’t gotten around to repairing them again. I love them (loved them) and I know that our house was much cleaner when those things ran all day long, but they don’t have any attachments, so we still require some type of vacuum cleaner to clean the crazy amount of stairs that we have in our house (all open, and with tons of exposed, dust collecting pieces), and we also like an attachment that dusts baseboards and trim – something that extends. I have no idea where to start.
So I thought I’d ask you if you have a fierce love for a particular vacuum cleaner so that we could make an easy purchase and get on with our Friday night high life. Here’s the wish list:
- Reasonably quiet – if that’s possible – we currently have a vacuum so loud we wear ear protection while we use it. I’m not kidding.
- Easy to maneuver on hardwood floors – this is a big one – we almost certainly need casters for easy pivoting, and not scratching / denting the floors.
- Easy to maneuver on stairs – not too heavy, and with attachments that make it somewhat easier to vacuum in all the nooks and crannies on the stairs.
- Long attachments to get the dust bunnies under beds – the thing the Roombas were best at, and my personal vacuuming pet peeve.
- M wants a bag, not a canister, because he claims he’s the only one who cleans it and he hates cleaning out the vortex of hair that is mostly mine. If you haven’t met me in person, I have a ridiculous amount of hair, and yes, it clogs up vacuum cleaners (which explains the Roomba woes). I told him that rather than complaining about the ridiculous amount of hair that I have he should be happy that I have it and that I’m not bald. He says I will never be bald because he will just pull the hair out of the vacuum cleaner and put it back on my head and no one will be the wiser. #maritalbliss
- And… I don’t want to have to take out a second mortgage to purchase it – I’ve got curtains to buy, you know.